Cobb County Weather Report and Climate Summary: Saturday, July 9

The National Weather Service forecast partly sunny skies most of the day here in Cobb County Saturday, July 9, but with thunderstorms likely in the late afternoon.

We are under a dangerous weather outlook today due to the high heat index and the possibility of severe storms.

Extended forecast

This forecast is centered on the Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta.

Saturday

Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 5 p.m. Partly sunny, with highs near 91. Heat Index values ​​as high as 102. Wind southwest 5-10 mph. The chance of precipitation is 60%. Further rainfall amounts between a quarter and a half inch are possible.Saturday nightShowers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Scattered fog between 2 and 3 am Low around 71. Wind west around 5 mph. The chance of precipitation is 90%. Further rainfall amounts between a quarter and a half inch are possible.SundayShowers and thunderstorms, mostly after 1 pm High near 86. Wind west around 5 mph. The chance of precipitation is 80%.Sunday nightShowers and thunderstorms, mostly before 8 pm Low near 69. Wind east 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation is 80%.Monday40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mostly after 2 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82.Monday evening30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mostly before 8 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.Tuesday50% chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8 am. Partly sunny, with highs near 85.Tuesday eveningA slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low of around 71. Chance of precipitation is 20%.WednesdayShowers likely, with thunderstorms also possible after 8am. Partly sunny, with highs near 86. Chance of precipitation is 70%.Wednesday evening40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.Thursday50% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with highs near 85.Thursday evening20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69.Friday40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 86.

June 2022 climate summary for the Atlanta area

The NWS Climate Summary for Metro Atlanta has now been updated with June figures. In an article titled What is the difference between climate and weather?the National Ocean Service describes the difference as follows:

The weather is what you see outside on a particular day. So, for example, it can be 75° degrees and sunny or 20° degrees with heavy snow. It’s time.

The climate is the average of this weather. For example, you can expect snow in the northeast in January or heat and humidity in the southeast in July. It’s the climate. The climatic record also includes extreme values ​​such as record temperatures or record amounts of precipitation. If you’ve ever heard your local meteorologist say “today we hit a record high for this day,” she’s talking about weather records. So when we talk about climate change, we are talking about changes in long term averages of daily weather conditions. In most places, the weather can change from minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, and season to season. Climate, however, is the average of weather patterns over time and space.

The climate report for the Atlanta area for the previous month shows the deviation from the average temperatures for that month. The average temperature for a date is the average over a period of 30 years.

Date

Maximum temperature

Minimum temperature

Mean temperature

Departure from normal

Precipitation

2022-06-01

92

70

81

5.9

0

2022-06-02

92

73

82.5

7.1

0

2022-06-03

86

68

77

1.4

0

2022-06-04

85

70

77.5

1.7

0

2022-06-05

86

68

77

1

0

2022-06-06

86

68

77

0.8

1.19

2022-06-07

84

69

76.5

0.1

0.66

2022-06-08

85

69

77

0.4

0.49

2022-06-09

85

68

76.5

-0.3

J

2022-06-10

84

64

74

-3

0

2022-06-11

88

70

79

1.8

0

2022-06-12

92

73

82.5

5.1

0

2022-06-13

95

74

84.5

6.9

0

2022-06-14

95

79

87

9.3

0

2022-06-15

99

75

87

9.1

0.24

2022-06-16

97

76

86.5

8.4

0

2022-06-17

96

77

86.5

8.2

J

2022-06-18

93

72

82.5

4.1

0

2022-06-19

89

68

78.5

-0.1

0

2022-06-20

92

67

79.5

0.8

0

2022-06-21

95

70

82.5

3.6

0

2022-06-22

98

72

85

6

0

2022-06-23

98

76

87

7.8

0

2022-06-24

93

75

84

4.7

0.01

2022-06-25

93

74

83.5

4.1

0

2022-06-26

92

74

83

3.4

J

2022-06-27

91

71

81

1.3

2.4

2022-06-28

81

72

76.5

-3.3

0.09

2022-06-29

87

72

79.5

-0.4

0.22

2022-06-30

90

72

81

1

J

Observations for each day cover the 24 hours ending

at the time indicated below (local standard time).

Max temperature: midnight

Min temperature: midnight

Precipitation: midnight

For more information on the climate of our region, visit the NWS Climate FAQ for the Atlanta area.

About the National Weather Service

The National Weather Service (NWS) is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).The NWS describes its role as follows:

The National Weather Service (NWS) provides weather, water, and climate forecasts and warnings for the United States, its territories, adjacent waters, and ocean areas, for the protection of life and property and the enhancement of the national economy. These services include forecasts and observations, warnings, impact-based decision support services, and education with the goal of building a nation ready for severe weather. The ultimate goal is to have a society that is prepared and responsive to weather, water and climate events.

Read all of Cobb County Courier’s climate and weather coverage by following this link.

Dale D. Schrum